Friday, August 17, 2012

COO COO for CACAO COCO

Forget intricate embroidery by Lesage, fine feathers by LemariĆ© and shoes crafted by Massaro; the only material Karl Lagerfeld is working with these days is chocolate, and literally tons of it. 


Someone decided to give fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld 10 tons of chocolate so he could create a chocolate hotel room complete with a chocolate model eating a chocolate ice-cream. What doesn't this guy get to do??  Indeed, the 'hardest-working man in fashion' has explored the world of haute cocoa as part of his collaboration with Magnum ice cream.


The photos speak for themselves, but if you need some context, here goes: Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld has apparently designed a chocolate hotel room, as part of a deal with Magnum ice-cream. Its creation required around 10 tons of Belgian chocolate, and the chocolate guy on the bed eating an ice-cream was apparently inspired by Baptiste Giabiconi, the designer’s favorite male model and muse( and rumored boyfriend). The edible chocolate room is currently housed by an unnamed Paris Hotel.




"It has been an absolute pleasure to design the Magnum Chocolate Suite. My idea was to flirt with a mix of modern and traditional French influences to create something remarkable," says Lagerfeld. However he sadly won't be enjoying the gastronomical side of the collaboration, as he recently told W magazine : "My doctor told me that sugar wasn't needed for me so I haven't touched it in ten years. I like chocolate. I don't eat it, but I like the smell of it. People can drink with their eyes; I can eat with my nose. I would love to have a perfume based on chocolate."


Lagerfeld's 'Chocolate Suite' has been created to celebrate the launch of Magnum Ecuador and Ghana, the first Magnum ice creams to be made with specially selected cocoa beans sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms in Ecuador and Ghana.




 Verdict: Although very cool, sexy and sooo Lagerfeld, I cant help but feel this was a very wasteful marketing campaign- especially when it trumpets your new partnership with the Rainforest Alliance promoting fair trade chocolate.  (sigh)